Welcome to Xavier Mission!
Xavier Mission is a FOR-IMPACT organization providing basic services as well as opportunities for empowerment and self-sufficiency to New Yorkers in need. We prefer the term “for-impact” rather than “non-profit”, as we would rather be defined by what we DO than what we don’t do.
Since 1983, Xavier Mission has welcomed, served, and empowered our guests with dignity and respect. Founded by the Church of St. Francis Xavier, in 2012 we became an independent, secular, for-impact organization. Today, Xavier Mission operates five community outreach programs that provide a continuum of services to those facing difficult times.
Each individual program provides an opportunity for our guests to take a step towards achieving safety, stability, and self-sufficiency, and works in collaboration with our other programs to offer holistic care and support.
Thank you for your interest in Xavier Mission. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Years of Service
Board of Members
Fr. Kenneth Boller, S.J.
Pastor, Church of St. Francis Xavier
Charles S. Mattingly, Esq.
The Corcoran Group
Paula Sarro, Esq.
Board of Directors
Fr. Kenneth Boller, S.J., Ex officio
President, Xavier Mission
Cassandra L. Agredo, LMSW, Ex officio
Executive Director, Xavier Mission
Dawn Besthoff, Chair
The New York City Law Department (Ret.)
Robert J. Diehl, CFA
J.P. Morgan Private Bank
Joseph Gentile, Esq.
Sarraf Gentile LLP
Vaishali Javeri, Esq.
Cboe Global Markets
Matthew LaFargue, Vice-Chair
Michael Kors (Ret.)
Harry Francisco Lewis Escobar
James MacGregor, Treasurer
Alliance Bernstein Global
Nandini Nair, Esq.
Matthew A. Pucker
Second Harvest Food Bank of North Central Ohio
Nomura Securities International
Madison Denomme, Co-Chair
Vestar Capital Partners
Justine Kahn, Co-Chair
World Vision International
Hospital for Special Surgery
Innovisk Capital Partners, LLP
The Mary Louis Academy
Employment & Board Opportunities
Xavier Mission is looking for new members of our team to keep our operations running smoothly behind the scenes! We are seeking energetic, hard-working people who are interested in serving their community and gaining valuable professional experience at the same time.
The following employment opportunities are available:
The following volunteer opportunities are available:
Xavier Mission is a FOR-IMPACT organization providing basic services as well as opportunities for empowerment and self-sufficiency to New Yorkers in need. Since 1983, Xavier Mission has welcomed, served, and empowered our guests with dignity and respect. We operate six community outreach programs that provide a continuum of services to those facing difficult times. Learn more at www.xaviermission.org
We are seeking diverse leaders who support our mission, vision, values, programs and policies through collaboration, volunteering, innovative networking, and the creation of unique fundraising opportunities. We are particularly interested in individuals with experience in: development. strategic planning, communications, or social work/nonprofit services.
Board members will be expected to:
- Address issues that include, but are not limited to: strategic planning, development, fundraising, communications, and operations.
- Utilize their professional experience to provide vision, energy, and insight to increase Xavier Mission’s resources and effectiveness.
- Work together to develop and achieve our fundraising goals.
- Help identify partners who can leverage resources to further enhance the services provided by Xavier Mission.
- Attend in-person and actively participate in monthly Board meetings held in Manhattan and participate in at least one Board committee.
- Volunteer in Xavier Mission programs.
- Plan and attend events for the benefit of Xavier Mission throughout the year.
- Contribute in a meaningful way, through a combination of in-kind gifts, friend-raising, ticket sales to fundraising events and personal contributions, at an amount that is meaningful and significant to the member.
- Introduce the work of Xavier Mission to their internal networks through personal conversation, mail and/or social media in order to help increase awareness.
- Serve as thoughtful advocates for Xavier Mission, staying up-to-date on its mission, programs and events.
- Board terms are three years.
- Members do not receive financial compensation for service.
BENEFITS TO BOARD MEMBERS:
- Connect with community members, philanthropists, and corporations while making a difference in the lives of New Yorkers in need.
- Use their skills and experiences to create a significant impact for a cause they care about while connecting with like-minded peers who share their passions and ambition.
- Expand their personal and professional networks by meeting new people at meetings, fundraisers, and social events, as well as having opportunities to network and build relationships with leaders across an array of industries.
- Learn new skills beyond their professional expertise and gain new perspectives on important social issues.
If you are interested in applying for this challenging role, please submit a resume and a cover letter to Vaishali at email@example.com AND Dawn at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Board of Directors Applicant.”
The Xavier Mission Associate Board is a group of passionate emerging leaders who dedicate their time, talents, and resources to raise awareness and support for the organization and its thematic goals.
- Associate Board members make a two-year (24 month) commitment to the Board, with the option for a two-year extension, barring any objections from the Associate Board or Board
- Members must have an interest in the organization’s mission and a passion for addressing the issues faced by those Xavier Mission serves
- Associate board members are expected to enthusiastically contribute to the Board and the broader organization without financial compensation
- Members will actively seek to ensure that Xavier Mission is a racially equitable, just, diverse, and inclusive organization
Commitments & Expectations
Five core Associate Board member commitments:
- Attendance: Attendance at monthly full board meetings in-person and monthly committee meetings (either virtually or in person) is mandatory
- Committee Participation: Members agree to participate on one of four Associate Board committees including: Events, Engagement, Fundraising, and Communications
- Volunteering: Members must volunteer at the Welcome Table, Clothing Room, and/or Food Pantry four times a calendar year
- Fundraising Events Attendance: Attendance at all fundraising events hosted by the Associate Board Events Committee, as well as events put on by the Board is mandatory and will be tracked
- Give/Get: Members must meet the annual give/get requirement of $500, with an aspirational give/get of $1000*
*This contribution can be achieved through a combination of in-kind gifts, friend-raising, ticket sales to fundraising events and personal contributions)
- Associate Board members have the unique opportunity to make a lasting and direct impact in the lives of those we serve through Xavier Mission
- This position provides both personal and professional enrichment, including but not limited to network expansion across various fields
- Members will develop key skills and industry knowledge around not-for-profit work
How to Apply
If interested in applying, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Associate Board Applicant” – Thank you!
To apply for Job Openings & Internships:
Submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your qualifications for the specific position to the Executive Director at:
55 West 15th St.
New York, NY 10011
Please mark your e-mail subject line or letter with the position title.
To apply for the Board of Directors:
Submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the Board to Cassandra at email@example.com AND Dawn at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Board of Directors Applicant.”
To apply for the Associate Board:
Please send your resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the Associate Board to Justine at email@example.com AND Madison at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Associate Board Applicant”.
Xavier Mission is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, sexual orientations, ages, faiths, economic and social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national origins are strongly encouraged to apply.